One of my favorite recipes of all time. This sandwich combines the decadence of slowly caramelized onion with tangy hummus, earthy garam masala and soft, fluffy bread. I know the combination is a bit shocking. But it’s really yummy! This is gluten free if you choose gluten free bread.
Simple idea: Try this caramelized onion sandwich
Serving Size: This recipe feeds my family of four (2 adults, 2 children) and leaves leftovers for the week.
- Loosely chop the onions. These don’t need to be small. Imagine bite size slices once they are cooked.
- Warm vegan butter in the skillet on medium. Once butter is melted, add the sliced onions.
- Cook for about 10 minutes and move the heat to low. I let my onions cook for about an hour on low. We want the onions to brown, so once they begin to brown, stir them. Then stir them again when the pieces against the pan begin to brown. Continue until all onions are browned and some crispy.
- While the onions are cooking, prepare the bread. Butter the outside of two pieces as you would when making grilled cheese.
- Spread a healthy portion of hummus on the inside of the two pieces and sprinkle with garam masala.
- When the onions are caramelized and brown, place a spoonful of onions on the hummus and garam masala side of the bread. Place the other slice of hummus/buttered bread on top so that it resembles a grilled cheese.
- Place the sandwich in the same pan you used to caramelize the onions and move the heat to medium-low. If I’m making a lot of sandwiches, I go ahead and take the onions out and place them into a side bowl (so that there’s more room in the pan to grill sandwiches). If I’m only making a few, I let the onions stay in the pan and continue to caramelize.
- Remove the sandwich from the heat when it is golden brown. Let cool and serve.
Let me know if you try this Caramelized Onion and Hummus Sandwich! It’s certainly unique. ;-)