I can’t tell you how excited I was when I came across this recipe from Real + Vibrant. It’s an Indian dish that you can use if you’re feeling under the weather. Or easily add this as a side dish to get a boost of protein, fiber and iron into your meal.
Simple idea: try moong dal the next time you're feeling under the weather
Why I Love This:
- It’s naturally vegan & gluten free
- It’s quick & super easy
- It’s cheap
- It’s good for us
- Perfect for a warm & cozy night
- 1 cup moong dal, split mung beans
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 8 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger, or a pinch of ground ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- lemon juice to taste
- salt to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine the rice and moong dal. Pour enough water to cover the mixture and soak for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, pour the mixture into a fine mesh strainer and rinse with cold water until it runs clear.
- Warm the oil on medium-low heat in a medium pot. Let it cook for about a minute until it becomes fragrant.
- Add the rice and dal mixture into the pot.
- Add the ginger and ground turmeric.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Cook for another minute (add a little oil if needed).
- Add the 8 cups of water.
- Increase the heat to medium-high to bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Turn the heat down immediately to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally until you get a porridge-like consistency. It should be soft and creamy. Taste the kitchari to make sure the texture is soft. If not, you may need to let it cook a little longer.
- Turn off the heat, add the lemon juice and parsley, and adjust the seasoning, if needed, and stir again.
- Serve or cool down completely and refrigerate in a sealed container for 3 days.
Link to Ingredients:
Disclaimer: This page contains affiliate links, and shopping through these links supports For Animals For Earth. Thank you for your support!