These tofu tacos are incredible! Literally, the flavor is so unique, and so good. By far one of my favorite recipes.I’ve tweaked this recipe from Rachel Hartley Nutrition to be vegan and gluten free, and to feed our family of 4. We usually have leftovers to eat for lunch the next day, so adjust accordingly for the number of people you are feeding. Please let me know if you try it, and any changes you make, in the comments.
Simple idea: try these tofu tacos
- 3 16-ounce block extra-firm tofu
- 12 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 9 tablespoons gluten free tamari
- 1.5 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- corn tortillas
CILANTRO LIME SLAW:
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1. Wrap tofu in a dry towel and drain. (I wrap the tofu and set it on a large plate. And then I set a bowl on top and stack 4 cans of vegetables inside that bowl). Let sit for 30 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together tamari, nutritional yeast, cumin and olive oil.
3. Cube tofu and add it to the bowl with sauce. Evenly coat. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
4. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Place tofu cubes evenly on two large, oiled baking sheets, drizzling with the extra marinade. Bake 50-60 minutes until golden brown, flipping the tofu and rotating the pans halfway through.
5. While the tofu is baking, make the slaw by mixing the cabbage, green onions and cilantro in a large bowl. Toss with lime juice and olive oil, and season with salt.
6. Make the sauce by whisking together yogurt and salsa verde, and season with salt.
7. Spread a small amount of olive oil around a skillet and warm it on medium heat. Warm each tortilla for about 15 seconds, until soft and lightly browned.
8. Serve immediately. Assemble tofu tacos with a scoop of tofu, slaw and sauce.
TO RE-HEAT: Dump refrigerated tofu into a skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Toss occasionally until completely warmed through. Serve in the same way.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases through links on this page. Money made on these purchases goes into For Animals. For Earth., helping us reach new people and help more animals. Thank you for your support!